yrwts

yrwts

Thursday, November 4, 2010

More than we can ask or think...

I love the hymn, "It is Well With My Soul".  The lyrics were written by Horatio Spafford.  Mr Spafford was a successful businessman in Chicago, Illinois.  He lost his business and much of his money in the Great Chicago Fire of 1871.  A short while later, all four of Spaf­ford’s daugh­ters died in a shipping accident while crossing the Atlantic Ocean. Spaf­ford’s wife, Anna, sur­vived and sent him the now fa­mous tel­e­gram, “Saved alone.”  Many weeks lat­er, as Spaf­ford’s own ship passed near the spot where his daugh­ters died, the Ho­ly Spir­it in­spired these words.

"It is Well With My Soul"
Verse 1:
When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.
Verse 2:
Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.
Verse 3:
My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!
Verse 4:
And Lord, haste the day when my faith be made sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul.
Chorus:
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Of all the triumphs this song speaks of, the one that makes my heart jump inside my chest most of all is that third verse.  All my sin, every bit of it was nailed to the cross with Christ "and I bear it no more".  If God's plan provided nothing else for me but that wonderful priviledge.  My head and my heart cannot fully grasp what that means.  The honor, the God purchased right to actually talk to God, one on one.  To be called His child. Colossians 2:13-14 "When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins, having canceled the charge of our legal indebtedness, which stood against us and condemned us; he has taken it away, nailing it to the cross."
 
Praying today for:
The nation of Liberia
The state of Mississippi

Remember, Nana loves you!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment